6 Ways to Get Your Palm Springs Home Ready for Summer
Summer is officially here in beautiful Palm Springs. If you haven’t already, it is definitely time to get your Palm Springs home summer ready!
Here are 6 simple things that you can implement to help reduce energy consumption while staying cool this summer!
1. Program your thermostat- The Department of Energy recommends setting your thermostat to 78º while you are at home and raising the temperature several degrees higher (83º-85º) while you are away. This will ensure that you are not wasting energy when you are not at home.
2. Maintain your cooling system – Air conditioning is an essential appliance in any Greater Palm Springs home. Contact your local HVAC professional for an annual inspection. This inspection could not only prevent a system breakdown at the most inconvenient time of year but a tune-up will help the system use less energy and function optimally. This is also a good time to check your air filters. Clean air filters ensure optimum air flow and should be changed at least every 3 months.
3. Cool your space with window treatments and ceiling fans - Close curtains or drapes during the hottest times of day to keep rooms cool and use ceiling fans to make rooms more comfortable instead of cranking up the AC.
4. Cook differently – Instead of using your oven, consider cooking on the outdoor grill (It is more delicious, right?). Or if you must cook indoors use a toaster oven or a microwave oven which will create less heat in your kitchen.
5. Lower your water heater – Water heating can account for 14% to 25% of the energy consumed in your home. By turning down your water heater during the summer months you can save both money and energy. The Energy Department recommends most households to lower water heater to 120ºF.
6. Do your homework- The Energy Star (www.energystar.gov) and U.S. Energy Department (www.energy.gov) websites are great resources with so many tips on how to be more energy efficient this summer.
If you're in the market for a new home, one with all the latest energy-saving features, then you should check out Vallera Palm Springs -- an enclave of 52 homes located in the gated community of Village Traditions located just two blocks from downtown Palm Springs. The homes at Vallera are full of whole-house energy saving features from the high efficiency 13-seer HVAC system and programmable thermostat, superior wall and roof insulation to deluxe energy efficient dual glazed Low-E vinyl windows throughout.
At Vallera, everything is designed to help make your home more than a home; it's a lifestyle.
Stay Cool, Palm Springs!